Saturday, February 12, 2011

How do I make this raw?

We have an assignment coming up where we are required to convert a conventional recipe to a raw one.  There is no surprise, here of course that I would like to convert one of my favorite desserts.  Much the same way I began to tackle gluten-free, dairy-free baking and converting my old favorites, I am finding myself once again a mad kitchen scientist.  Based on what I have learned so far in the two weeks that I have been here, I am mostly relying on weak instincts at this point.  I did notice however, when I started looking up some basic raw formulas on the good old internet, that I have a little bit better idea of what I need than I initially gave myself credit for.  The problem is, I am setting the bar pretty high.  Years ago, when my diet changed so dramatically, I felt so deprived of the beautiful desserts I was accustomed to enjoying and was so discouraged that very little in quality gluten-free and dairy-free baked goods were available, I decided to try to recreate what I was used to.  I and my family have been more than pleased with the end results and they are my toughest critics!  Kevin, my youngest, is especially critical.   In fact, this blog's name is a direct result of a comment he made recently while eating the gluten-free birthday cake that he requested I make.  "Mom, seriously, you could create world peace with this!"  With that confidence boost I will forge ahead with this latest challenge.  What you see pictured is the "before" picture of the dessert I am going to attempt to convert.  Stay-tuned for the raw "after" picture.  It is a lemon cream tart in a graham/ginger crust with whip cream and candied lemon peel and mint leaf decoration.  Wish me luck! 

2 comments:

  1. forget about LUCK i want a piece>>>>
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohh! What a confidence boost! Thank you! This tart is dairy free, too!!

    ReplyDelete