Friday, March 11, 2011

Aloe, Lunch Special and Nougatine

This week has been an interesting week for me.  One full of fairly intense emotional and physical challenges that I can't quite put my finger on completely.  Be that as it may, production as it relates to raw food continues here at 105 Degrees. The beautiful colorful plate here is actually a dish made with aloe.  Yes, the aloe plant.  I have to be honest, this was simply a plating exercise for me because I took it apart to eat it so that I could remove the aloe.  I just could not bring myself to eat it. 


The rest of the week Lindsay and I focused on our lunch menu special.  We decided to have a Chilled Sweet Beet Soup, Zesty Kale Salad and Herb Mashed Potatoes.






Since I have arrived at 105 Degrees, I have eaten more beets than I have ever eaten previously in my entire life!  


For dessert our selection was Cherry Ice Cream with Dark Chocolate Sauce and Cherries and a Chocolate Truffle.




There are definitely a few changes Lindsay and I agreed we would have made, but overall we were somewhat satisfied with what we accomplished.


As a class we also produced a great Pistachio Nougatine Dessert.  I absolutely loved the flavor of this!!  Very fun and easy to make!  It is very rich tasting though, so this is definitely a plate for sharing with someone special!






We are working on costing out our recipes and the math and computer details are causing me a great deal of angst, but I am finding out it is something that will serve me well in the future.  I am not the only one struggling with this though, so it is reassuring that it is not just me.


And now for a confession, as of last night I am not 100% raw anymore, or I guess you might say, I broke the original notion that I would be raw for eight weeks straight.  I ate half a loaf of Udi's cinnamon raisin bread, eight slices to be exact, toasted with lots of coconut oil on it.  It was delicious!!  Haven't turned the tv on yet though.  That is much easier to do without!













2 comments:

  1. Your creations look incredible. I am in awe.

    I'm sorry to hear the math is causing you angst. I would be happy to help from my cubicle!

    Missing you and the amazing flavours you added to my life.

    I hope you enjoyed every bite of the Udi's bread. Life is about balance and finding joy everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa you are the best! You have such a gift for making someone feel so good!

    ReplyDelete